Monday, February 20, 2006

Let's try something new

As the title of this Blog implies, I'm gonna try something new.

Instead of blabbering on about my personal life, I'm gonna give a book review!

The book that I'm gonna be reviewing today is Confessions of an Innocent Man, by William Sampson.

First off, since this is my first semblance of a book review since I was in like grade 4, I wanna preface the reader to be aware that, even though I'm trying not to, I may give away parts of the book that may be best left for reading. There. Now you know.

Okay so this book is about a man, William Sampson, who is a Canadian/British citizen working in Saudi Arabia. He was accused by Saudi officials of orchestrating a terrorist attack, and this book chronicles his nearly three years in solitary confinement from his point of view (obviously).

In my never-ending search for a book to read at my local Chapters, I came upon this one in the best-seller's section. I don't normally buy hard cover books unless they're cheap, and this one was selling for around $37. I questioned whether or not I really wanted it, and in the end I did.

The story of this man seemed too surreal to pass up, and I felt I would be missing out on something if I didnt buy it.

I read a couple books prior to getting to this one, because I wanted to save it for last. I started reading it and I was automatically hooked to Sampson's style of writing, and to the events that occur right at the start of the book.

Sampson's explicitly detailed accountings of what happend to him is astounding. Add this to his spectacular writing style, keeping me interested in what I was reading at all times, and it was asking to be an astonishingly well-written memoir.

Sampson accounts for his eccentric, as perceived by most in society, personality traits as one of the major keys to him surviving his ordeal. One such example is his ability to thrive in situations where he is comfortable in complete solitude. Sampson speaks of how he climbed mountains and spent days alone with only himself, and also of how he dealt with his demons best alone, before venturing to loved ones for support.

This was one book where I didn't feel the urge to put it down. It didn't have those sections where it seems tedious to read through. Even though it took me a good while to read it (with time restrictions and overall busy schedule), I would have to say that this is the best book I've read. If you are into the first-person story-telling with amazing detail into how the person is going through the experience at hand, then this is definitely for you.

The one thing I would like to offer is for readers to not let someone like James Frey ruin the memoirs of others. His deceipt, even though the book was supposedly well written and overall enjoyable (and I may read it soon), his actions damaged the credibility of all memoir writers. It is up to the readers to determine whether or not they would believe what is written, and I believe you should read, and believe, this particular book.