Saturday, June 14, 2008

The Fog is Lifting on the Future

It's pretty much the half way point of 2008 and life is going pretty well for me at the moment.

In September I'll be heading back to class for my Corporate Communications post-grad course. I want to pursue something along the lines of working in the media relations and/or public affairs department of an institution/company.

As I'm sure my faithful readers and blogger friends know, I'm kind of a stickler for security and stability. In fact, it's one of the major reasons I'm moving on from a career in (potentially) struggling journalism to one of (hopefully) stable corporate communications. As I've recently found out, not only does stability come with this field but potentially it's well paying too.

I just found out a couple weeks ago that I'll be working for Toronto EMS (Emergency Medical Services) starting this Wednesday. It's only a summer employment position, but it's well paid and I get full time hours to boot. Most importantly I believe, is that it should give me a lot of insight into the kind of corporate career I want to pursue; something I think I got a taste for at the TTC, but didn't really get the opportunity to learn much of, in the time I was there.

I hope I get the chance to learn a lot because like I said in September I'll be heading into school to study something along those lines. I'm going to try to pick the brains of my coworkers a little bit more this time around. Hopefully I can get them to teach me a few invaluable lessons that will not only help me in school, but long after I've graduated as well.

I'm really excited for the future now, more than I've ever been before. As I've said in previous posts, the reason for heading into Journalism was to improve my insecurities when dealing with people. This time around I'm heading into this post-grad course with the understanding that I'm not a typically shy person, I'm just more observant until I adjust to my surroundings. I also feel a lot more comfortable heading into school for the second time, not only as a grown adult, but as someone who is sure of his career path and where he wants to go in life. It's a great feeling.