Friday, February 23, 2007

And my predictions are...

Alright, I figured I'd give my predictions for this year's Academy Awards. I haven't seen all the movies, but I think I can make some educated guesses as to who's going to win the awards. I'll do many but not all.

Best Film
Little Miss Sunshine - Traditionally the Academy shuns comedies, but this one is too good to pass up in my opinion. The acting is great by the entire cast. The general storyline with the dysfunctional family trip angle is old, but this movie gives it a new and refreshing taste. Finally, it's real, kind of. It shows real people with real problems that many people have to deal with in their lives eventually. Sure all films do that, but this one is more direct and not just a characteristic of a person. I think that makes sense.

Note: I haven't seen Letters from Iwo Jima or The Queen.

Best Director
Martin Scorsese for The Departed - You've all heard constantly that he's been shunned for so long from getting the Best Director nod. They'll give it to him. There's just too much hype going around for him to not get it.

Note: I haven't seen Letters from Iwo Jima, The Queen or Flight 93. Traditionally war movies don't get it and slice of lifers are simple enough to denote what happens and how it's filmed. Therefore I didn't vote for them.

Best Actor
Forest Whitaker - Again all signs point to him. I haven't seen this movie but not because I haven't wanted to. It looks amazing. Also, Whitaker is a great actor. I saw a movie of his called Ghost Dog and it was very well done.

I must say since I haven't seen The Last King of Scotland my own personal choice would be Ryan Gosling from Half Nelson.

Note: I've only seen Half Nelson and The Pursuit of Happyness. However, as I mentioned I can appreciate Whitaker's acting, and also Leonardo Dicaprio as well who's nominated for Blood Diamond.

Best Actress

Oddly enough I haven't seen any of the Best Actress films. Though Helen Mirren is getting all the nods. Meryl Streep for The Devil Wears Prada is probably the dark horse here.

Best Supporting Actor
Alan Arkin in Little Miss Sunshine - His character in the movie was amazing. Nearly every word out of his mouth made for a funny moment. He also made you feel that he was a great grandfather at the same time. Also, he isn't in the film for maybe half of it, but his influence plays a great role.

Note: I'd vote Mark Wahlberg because he was great in The Departed, but his character was pretty one dimensional. And the others I haven't seen. It was good that Arkin clearly performed well that I didn't have to worry about the others.

Best Supporting Actress
Because Dreamgirls will get relatively shutout of the major awards, the buzz around Jennifer Hudson will likely result in her winning the award. That's the safe bet. My personal choice out of the 3 I've seen act would be Rinko Kikuchi from Babel. She played a messed up young deaf-mute girl verrrry well. Quite believable.

Others (minus explanations):

Best Writing (original screenplay)
Little Miss Sunshine

Best Writing (adapted screenplay)
The Departed

Visual Effects
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest

Foreign Language
Pan's Labyrinth

Documentary Feature
An Inconvenient Truth

Costume Design
Marie Antoinette

Makeup
Pan's Labyrinth

There you have it people. Those are my choices and I'm stickin to 'em ... we'll see how I do after the winners are announced on Sunday!

Peace.