Wednesday, February 14, 2007

In short...

As many of you know I don’t really have any inclination to become a reporter; I haven’t for quite some time. The lucky part with the program I chose is that it gives me quite a few choices career-wise.

During my internship I’ve gained more (albeit I haven’t learned anything more) experience in proof-reading and copy-editing, both are jobs worth pursuing, if not for the short-term only. I’ve also gained a lot of experience in the corporate communications aspect. While I haven’t done media releases or anything important like that, I have had the opportunity to write a few articles. They aren’t the articles I’ve gotten used to writing over the past two-and-a-half years, these are more lopsided, in favour of the organization I’m at. Basically all pros, no cons.

I understand what’s being asked of me and I have no problems giving only a certain view of a subject. I’m actually happy that I get to write like this because it presents a different kind of challenge than what I’ve done in the past. Before it was the interviews that were tougher, having to find the right people and getting different viewpoints to keep your article balanced. Now, the interview is easy because they give you everything you ask for, even if they say not to write it, they give you the information anyway.

Speaking of writing, that used to be the easy part, now it’s a little more difficult as I said because it provides me with a new challenge. I have to get all these positive points across, make sure what I’m saying is worded properly and give kudos to certain people or the company as a whole whenever I get the opportunity and so on. There are a lot of things I have to get in because it will influence the reader (employee/person with vested interest) in a positive way, which will in turn get them to think of the “company”, as it were, in a positive way.

The only thing I haven’t gotten to do is design. That’s been my passion since I took design class in second year. What they have let me do is recognize I know what I’m talking about when it comes to design, and let me put my opinion in to make the paper better or more appealing. It’s not exactly what I wanted but it’s a start and it shows they’re taking my opinions seriously.

That just about sums up what I’ve been through in my first month at my internship and I think it’ll get better and hopefully less boring haha.

Peace.