Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Chill...

Lately I’ve been able to pay more attention to the news than I have in a relatively long time. This is one of the positive side-affects of my job. So in turn, my posts will from time to time relate to what I’ve been reading. I’ll still post the occasional “what’s up with me today” blog, but I’m tryin’ to cut back.

This week Peel Catholic School board removed the book Snow Falling on Cedars from their high school libraries based on one complaint from a parent. The reason was for its sexual content.

I’ve never read the book, but I absolutely do not condone the removal of any book from any library. They say they’ve taken it down from shelves until they can determine if they’ll take it down permanently when a committee decides. The book was a part of a reading exercise by one of the English teachers at one of the schools as well. It’s supposedly a book well-suited for teaching students, but now it won’t be available, at least for a month or so.

I have the belief that any book from Dr. Seuss’ Green Eggs & Ham to Adolf Hitler’s Mein Kampf should be made available to anyone who chooses to read it. Just because I’m reading a book with some sort of popularly perceived negative content doesn’t mean I’ll start acting it out or behaving negatively. Any knowledge gained from books is valuable and should be embraced.

One of the arguments some are making is that with increased outlets, especially online (like blogs for example), for people to express their opinions, schools are getting a little paro when it comes to things like this. So when a single parent comes to them asking to ban a book for a particular reason they’d be more than happy to review it.

I find it funny how a book can so easily be banned but a (perceived) dangerous or violent show will have hit ratings on prime-time without people complaining so much.

Also, if parents took more time to actually look after their kids there wouldn’t be the issue of a book with supposed sexual content being such a problem. People are too rigid when it comes to talking about sex. It’s a natural thing we do! And nearly everyone does it at least once in their life! And another thing I’ve neglected to mention was the students affected by the ban are in HIGH SCHOOL! Reading a book with sex scenes was the least of my exposure to the act by the time I was 15. I’d already been bombarded with it all my life and a book was so not my avenue to explore that. I haven’t read The Handmaid’s Tale but I’ve heard, and some of you can attest perhaps, that there is atleast one sexual act in that, no? And it’s a part of nearly every English class’ curriculum (except mine apparently).

People need to really lighten up and fight their battles in areas that need it.

That’s my issue for the day.

Peace.