Thursday, December 28, 2006

Some of my favourites of 2006...

I've been caught up in the world of 'top whatevers of 2006' and since I now have a blog this year I figured I'd give it a go. Today I'll post my top 10 albums of the year. They're just albums I've listened to and they aren't the end-all-be-all of music so don't go complaining to me that you're favourite album didn't crack the list! Or do, it doesn't bother me...

10. Z 103.5 Stree Mix 2k7

Up until the past few months I've shunned the dance music genre. However, frequent rides in a friend's car made me unable to disregard it any longer. Since then I've gotten a few albums and am actually enjoying the music now. This album in particular is amazing. It's got great flow from one song to the next and they're all still playing on the radio today so it's not a dated 'best of 2006' compliation.

9. Raconteurs - Broken Boy Soldiers

I'll admit this album was one of the least catchy ones on this list. However, for the couple weeks I listened to it in the summer it stuck with me. This is Jack White, of The White Stripes' side project and the band is quickly becoming just as popular. I debated whether or not to include it on the list but in the end it succeeded in getting there.

8. Nas - Hip Hop is Dead

This album just came out a few weeks ago. After the first listen I knew it'd go on my list. The songs aren't usually what catches my ear. They're slower, quieter at times, but their vibe is undeniable. With just a few misses on the album you're going to hear a few tracks from it in the next while, I'm sure.

7. Stone Sour - Come What(ever) May

I was first introduced to Stone Sour with their first album a few years ago. I loved it. I never enjoyed Slipknot as much, they seemed a little to crazy for me, and still do for that matter. This group, if you haven't heard already is a branch off Slipknot, but they seem a little more mellow at times and their videos a little more playable on mainstream television.

6. Chappelle's Block Party OST

For those who have read my blog for a while, you'll know I went to see the Chappelle movie a while back. I enjoyed it a lot. The music was not what I normally listened to at the time, but since then I think I've tried to expand my 'rap horizons' a little bit. With the exception of the incredibly annoying phone interludes on the album it was and still is quite amazing.

5. Red Hot Chili Peppers - Stadium Arcadium

I was looking forward to this album for quite some time. It's a 2-disc output from the Chili's and the 28 songs it contains are all equally amazing. It's a perfect album to listen to while driving down the highway in the summer with the windows open.

4. Billy Talent - Billy Talent 2

I was never really into Billy Talent that much. However, my nephew liked them and got me to get the album. I finally caved and gave it a listen. I was impressed. This record is filled with catchy singable songs that get stuck in your head for days.

3. Emily Haines & The Soft Skeleton - Knives Don't Have Your Back

If you know me, you know I enjoy Metric, a lot. When I heard the lead singer, Emily Haines, would be coming out with a solo album I couldn't wait to snatch it. When I first started listening to it I must say I wasn't really impressed. The songs are all relatively slow with no change of pace throughout the album. However, as with ever Metric album, I started listening to it non-stop and it grew on me.

2. Lily Allen - Alright Still

I started listening to Lily at the end of April, shortly after I joined Myspace. About a week or two later she started becoming immensly popular. I'd see her on all these web sites on the Internet with people talking about how Myspace made her..etc. I was happy to have found her before (albeit 2 wks) her popularity boom and it made me want to stick with her and see her rise to stardom, as it were.

1. Gnarls Barkley - St. Elsewhere

This album really caught me out of nowhere. I'd heard of Cee-Lo but never really listened to his music before. I just got the album because it seemed like it was getting good reviews, and I couldn't get that song 'Crazy' out of my head. After listening to it a few times I knew I'd found something special. It's such a different type of music that I've never really heard before.
All the songs on the album are of 'single' quality and if you haven't heard it yet I'd recommend you giving it a try.

I'd have to say making this list wasn't the easiest task to do. There are some albums I really debated putting up there but chose not to. One thing I learned from my music listening this year is to not dismiss an artist because you don't seem to click with them. Also don't dismiss an album on the first listen. Sometimes it takes time to grow into an artist or album and, who knows, you may be better off for giving it a chance in the end!

Peace.