Friday, January 05, 2007

Let the Roller Coaster ride begin...

Starting on Wednesday I'll begin my 4-month internship which will allow me to graduate college and hopefully move on to bigger and better things.

Only one problem stands in my way at the moment and that would be the Toronto Police. No I'm not under investigation for a grow-op in my attic, nor am I wanted for the latest shooting or 20 in my neighbourhood. If either of these situations were affecting me at the moment then I can understand the delay. My issue is the fact that I haven't received my clearance letter, which I need at my placement to work, even though i applied for it on December 21.

If I don't get it by tomorrow morning I'm calling Police HQ and asking them what's up. I've given enough leeway I think with the "it's the holidays" excuse. Now I just want my damned letter.

After I get that I can fax it in and all will be well in the world once more.

Back to my placement! I can't wait to begin. This break has been far too long and the consistent hours of work appeals to me like you wouldn't believe. I'll be working from 8:30am-4:30pm, which is killer compared to my normal brain wasting time of 3pm-11pm at the factory.

Also I'll be working quite close to downtown, which is a new experience for me. Unfortunately, however this will not equal a lot of fun because the internship is unpaid. That's right. 4-months of no pay for me. My life will be like high school all over, except this time I'll have bills to pay. Since this is the case I'm still going to work at the candy factory on Saturday mornings for that 5 hour shift I normally do anyway. Also since my internship ends at 4:30pm I can try for the occasional shift at work. They've been pretty good over the last while of letting me go in whenever I felt like it so I don't see that changing now.

The lack of money means I'll have to cut back on my horrible spending habits. I'll also have to rework my Internet service and go for the slower speed as well as maybe change my cell plan to one that is way cheaper. It'll save me a good $10-20/mth which is amazing when it's like 1/8th my entire income :(

In the end I'll just be happy knowing that I'll be home around 6pm and be able to spend time with my family and even do something during the weekdays if the cheap opportunity arises.

After this 4 months I really have no clue where things will take me. Will I pursue journalism or will I take the PR/Corporate Communications route? Probably the latter, but whoever gives me a job is my hero in the end haha.

Peace.