Sunday, January 14, 2007

Experiencing "the office"

As many of you know already, tomorrow's my first day of work at my placement.

Up until I woke up today I wasn't the least bit nervous. In fact, last week I was excited and ready to get things started. I was a little suprised with myself that I didn't have any sign of anxiety or apprehension, but never fear, it's here now.

Outside of working in the newsroom for periods of time I've never really experienced an office-like environment. My only job has been at the factory and that's definitely not anything like what I'm going to be experiencing here.

What I'm going through right now is a little bit of fear of the unknown. I'm ready to experience it completely and I'm not scared in any sense. It's just an entirely foreign situation for me right now and I don't know what to expect.

The sad part is I've been watching every episode of "The Office" this past week or so because I finally cracked. I'd heard it was a great show a number of times so I decided I would give it a try. This is really what's stuck in my head as the perception of what an office would be like.

It also feels like yet another first day of school experience. I'll have to get to know everyone all over. Except this time they'll likely be much older than me and finding similarities might be a long shot.

This time though I think I see it as a challenge. I've been improving my "people skills" over the past while and I think I can hold up to the test. I'll go in and I'll be friendly. I wont make every social situation into an anxiety filled one. I'm just taking everything for what it is and I know I'll be out of there in 4-months, give or take.

Blogger is good for something because I'm excited to start again!

Peace.