Tuesday, February 20, 2007

One more try...or one and a half...or more even...

I don't know how to preface this post so I'll just get into it.

I'm nearing the end of the program. There's just over two months left before I graduate. In fact, tomorrow when I'm at school for a class meeting I'm handing in my application to graduate form. It's a great time for me, personally. I'll be the first in my immediate family to have finished college. This was a big goal for me and I'm glad I'm going to achieve it.

However, coming to the end of this program I don't feel I'm necessarily ready to get out there yet. I can get a position easily and be on my way, but I wouldn't feel to comfortable, I don't think. I need a little more.

So since I've decided to take the Public Relations/Corporate Communications route, I've been looking at courses. I've found 3 colleges in the city offering 1 - 1 1/2 year post-grad programs in Corp. Comm. : Humber, Centennial and Seneca.

If I decide to take the chance and join the course it'll give the specific skills I think I require to do the PR/Corp. Comm. thing. Things I haven't explicitly learned while in Journalism. I've been given great skills, I think, that I can apply, but I really have little idea what's expected of me in the corporate world.

Of the three colleges Humber is the least familiar, so it's down at the bottom. I go to Centennial now, so I understand how it works. The program is even offered at my tiny-ass campus, so I'll be pretty comfortable there. However, right now I'm leaning towards Seneca's program.

Like I said it's one year, with a half-semester co-op option (which costs more but I think is worth it). They offer the same/similar program to Centennial and Humber. However since they're affiliated with York University (it's at that Uni), the program has a partnership with the University of Western Sydney in Australia. And that would mean after I finish at Seneca, and have the proper average (a B avg., nothing too difficult), I can go to Australia. The beauty of it is that it would only be for four months to get my degree because they accept 40 credits towards it.

One semester in Australia while going to school would kick-ass. I've been wanting to go there for years. I'm not saying that I would definitely go, but having the option to live a life experience like that while learning is something I would deeeeeply consider if the opportunity came my way.

So yeah, there you have it. I'm heavily leaning toward going back to school, even though I technically will never have left!

Peace.