Thursday, April 26, 2007

Changes...

Three years ago I began college. I’d taken a year off to save up as much money as I could. It was my first job, so saving was easier said than done for a while. It wasn’t until I needed a new computer that I realized I was spending at a dangerous level. I managed so quickly save up the necessary $1,500 or so to buy it, and after that hit to the account I quickly saved up again, and never saw my account dip below $1,500 as a result of my own spending anyway, there were a couple times over the course of these past few years that it went dangerously low by my standards, but the circumstances were unavoidable. Anyway, I’m rambling off topic.

When I first started I didn’t know a single person. It took some time, but I eventually found a few people I could talk to and become friends with. Two of them are perhaps my closest college friends to-date. Back then I had definite troubles talking to people. I don’t think I was as bad as I’m making it out to be, but I really wasn’t comfortable with the way I acted in social situations. I was such a different person than who I am today. It’s really strange how 3 years of experiences can help a person grow.

Aside from the fact that I’m a little more outgoing, I’ve changed in other ways too. Various things in my personal life have toughened me up mentally, a great deal. I no longer sweat the little things that bother me. I’ve learned that life can be cut short at any time and it’s great to just live the great moments and not let the inevitable bad ones bother me too much. I used to get so depressed at anything negative, now it’ll bug me for a while but I move on. I’ve also learned, and this is tough to categorize as good or bad, to not be so trusting and let people in, or get too comfortable with anyone in particular; at least not until I’m 100 per cent sure of it. Sure it’s made me a little harder, but I needed that in me.

Finally, as much as I’m happy about graduating school for the final time, I still have to get out there and find a job; a real job. It’s a very daunting shadow over me right now, but I’m not getting too worried about it. Some people I know are going crazy because they don’t have anything, or aren’t finding anything suitable for them. I know if I just relax a bit, and take a step back from this world I’ve been in for three years, then I’ll know which direction I want to go in.

Until then, I’m content with my situation, and I look to have a great summer; it could be my last. Figuratively speaking, of course.

Peace.