Thursday, June 29, 2006

My memories flow with music

Tonight while at work in the old candy factory I was rockin out to music that only exists in my head, as we're not allowed to bring our mp3 players (or archaic cd players) into the plant with us. It seems while I'm not listening to my player, I constantly hear some song in my head. I think it's a symptom of having listened to music everyday constantly for as long as I can remember (about 8 years).

Anyway, I was listening to imaginary songs, and as one imaginary track progressed into the next I got the feeling of sadness. The song (irrelevant), invoked memories on me that I'd experienced in the past, but were brought out again as clear as daylight. It's not that the memory was necessarily sad, but that the time can't be captured again or the original feeling the song brought upon me can't be felt again, which in itself is saddening.

I have quite a large collection of music and I try my best to listen to as much as I can. However, those albums that bring back memories (good or bad) are the best ones I think I have. Even if I don't enjoy the group or artist anymore, I can still listen to their album and feel the memories flooding back to me as if it were yesterday.

Tonight I was also thinking about Ashanti's first album and how I enjoyed it in high school; immediately the feeling of driving to school and listening to my cd player plugged into my car came flooding back to me. Or how the American Idiot album by Green Day represents the second half of my first year of college because I listened to it every day on the way in. Both of these artists I don't really care for too much anymore, but I can listen to those albums and feel happy at the same time.

While I may not hold on to any type of music or artist for a very long time I find their songs or albums forever captivating if they stick to me like that, and that is why I love music so much and I don't know where I'd be without it.

Peace.