Saturday, June 17, 2006

Samurai Champloo

Fresh from watching the 26th and final episode of the anime series, Samurai Champloo I must say I'm quite sad to see it go.

The story follows 3 characters, Fuu, Mugen and Jin on their search for the "samurai that smells like sunflowers". The era of Japan where the story is set isn't quite defined, as it leaps back and forth, but it ranges during the middle-ages for arguments sake.



Throughout the journey to find this samurai, who Fuu, the young 15-year old girl must meet, there isn't a great deal that is done in search of this man. The characters go through many encounters with many different situations, mostly revolving around them looking for money to pay for lodgings or food to eat. This being said, I found the storyline lacking, but at the same time I kept watching to find out what happened next.

The further into the saga, the reasoning behind why Fuu must confront this samurai becomes clear. We also get to know the backgrounds of the rogue samurai that she is traveling with as her "bodyguards". I won't go into detail for those who haven't watched (but by some freaky twist of fate stumble on this post and get hooked!) because I don't want to ruin the buildup the creators try to achieve by revealing tidbits in nearly every episode.

One of the strong points of the show, I believe was the quality of the animation. I was amazed at how the characters moved when they were fighting, how it looked so realistic, yet not at all at the same time. The expressions on their faces, for the most part, was completely refreshing from most of the anime I've had the opportunity to see.

In the end I was happy with the show. I don't believe it could've gone on to another storyline and it ended well, but I'd still like to know what's going to happen next (again i dont want to reveal too much about the ending).

Peace.