Sunday, March 19, 2006

3 condensed movie reviews.

In the past 4 days I've watched three, count 'em, four movies. I've given my Chappelle Block Party review, which was not the greatest in my opinion, but it was my first and that was that. I'm going to give three short reviews of the movies I've recently watched. The first is Domino, the second is Saw II and the third is V for Vendetta.

Domino:

Stars Keira Knightley as Domino Harvey. It's the story of a England born, Beverly Hills raised girl who goes from model to bounty hunter. It's (LOOSELY) based on the story of the real Domino Harvey. The movie itself is awesome. The camera work, the music (although somewhat repeptitive) and the acting is very well done. A lot of the things that happen seem quite unbelievable if you're thinking it's based on reality, but they let you know that enough so I didn't really complain about it that much. I like the movie a lot and I would recommend it.

Saw II:

Okay so this is yet another sequel. I won't give the ending or anything away, if you chose to watch it, but pretty much right off the bat once they're in the house and awakening to find that they're a part of Jigsaw's game I figured out who was the "bad guy". I was going on from what happened in the first movie with the dead guy on the floor (sorry if you haven't seen Saw). The movie tries too hard to be scary or thrilling. The way the characters in the movie act seems way too over the top and not realistic in my opinion. The bright spot I guess is the way the brutality plays out, it was gory enough and creative but not incredibly over the top as with the rest of the movie. In the end I wouldn't really recommend it.

V for Vendetta:

This is the last of the three movies if you've lost count. I just saw this one tonight. It stars Natalie Portman (Star Wars Ep I, II, III, Garden State) and Hugo Weaving (The Matrix, Lord of the Rings). It's set in the somewhat near future in London. The country's been taken over by some quasi-Hitler type fellow and has been supressed as such. Weaving's character "V" as he is called, for that was the number of his cell where he was imprisoned and tested upon..etc., is a revolutionist who is looking to give the people back its power over it's government so everyone can be happy again. Portman's character Evey is rescued, essentially, by V and she end's up living with him. There's somewhat of a love story there, but it's so lame with the guy's mask and whatnot. Also, the Wachowski bros. (Matrix Trilogy) produced the film. The entire time watching it I was waiting for the bullet time thing. I got it, but it was with V's knives. I hate the bullet time thing. Stop doing that now. :) The movie, while it had some good messages and storyline, was just a little to weird for my tastes. The mask and costume of V is entirely too distracting and took away a lot of my enthusiasm about seeing the movie in the first place. I would recommend it but only if you believe you can manage to not be distracted by that mask and costume. If the commercials bugged you, then the movie definitely will.