Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Dave Chappelle's Block Party Review - Good or Bad - Take it for what it is.

Here is my review of the talented Dave Chappelle's effort at a documentary of putting together a block party in Brooklyn, NY for his many fans.

I went into this film with little to no knowledge of what it would really be about. I knew it would have Chappelle going about and giving people tickets to go to Brooklyn to watch the concert. I knew it would have comedy and I knew it would have music. I just wasn't too sure about what would be the dominant theme of the three.

The movie is all over the place; which isn't necessarily a negative comment, it's just how it is. It would start off with the concert taking place, a performer rapping for a bit, then it would cut to Chappelle giving some local Ohio neighbour of his a ticket to go see the show.

That is basically how the entire film went from then on; constantly jumping back and forth like that.

As the movie progressed I came to realize that it wasn't necessarily a film about the putting together of this crazy block party, but the coming together of a generation's musical influences. Performers ranged from Mos Def, to Eryka Badu, to Dead Prez to The Fugees (yes, The Fugees!).

The film had a real sense of a musical family performing as one unit. It would go from concert to practice sessions, and at all times they seemed like they would be having the greatest of fun. People from the crowd even mentioned how the performers were so relaxed and making themselves available to the people all the time; which is so rare in today's celebritydom.

Even though I wasn't knowledgeable of much of the music that they performed, I felt I vibed with it well, and it may have turned me on to a few of the artists.

In the end I would definitely recommend this movie. It is very fun and relaxed and overall enjoyable. Oh, and Dave Chappelle rocks! - Sorry, so unprofesisonal :P

Hope it was an adequate review.

Peace