Thursday, August 24, 2006

Leave the Snakes Alone

I can't believe I'm actually writing a post that aims to defend the movie Snakes on a Plane. I feel it's justified though because I've read so much negativity based on complete and utter ignorance to the movie.

Okay so for those of you who have no clue what the movie Snakes on a Plane is about, I'll give you the brief run down. I guess SPOILERS ahead. But who cares about the story?

Guy witnesses murder.
Guy is hunted for this witnessing.
Guy is saved dramatically by Sam Jackson.
Guy doesn't want to testify.
Sam Jackson doesn't give a fuck.
Guy now agrees.
They go on plane.
They get first class to themselves.
Everyone else pissed.
Snakes come.
Snakes bite people.
Sam Jackson gets fed the fuck up.
People work together to fight back.

So you have the outline of the movie. You probably assumed all that stuff would happen already. I'm not pushing this movie based on it's flawless plot line and script writing, I'm pushing this movie's ridiculous premise that attacking a plane with snakes would actually be anything but a fucking disaster.

Movies are supposed to provide you with entertainment. That may be through excitement, laughter, anger or sadness. If people are knocking Snakes because it provides you with three of those four situations, then why are movies made? For once we have a movie that gives everything it's been pushing, and more! This movie will give you excitement, laughter and even anger, but for a different reason.

I wanted to see this movie, but I really could've lived without seeing it in the theatres. I had tried my best to get my friends to watch Little Miss Sunshine starring Steve Carrell. So I'd like to make the point that while I was interested in the movie, I wasn't fanatical about it. I'm still not. This post is out of necessity.

While watching the movie I started pointing out many of it's blatant flaws, of which I won't go into here; this is the form of the anger the movie gives you. After a few times going, "what the hell?" and "that doesn't even make sense!", my friend Alex pointed out to me that I was watching a movie called Snakes on a Plane and that I should stop complaining. It took him to say that to make this movie truly amazing for me. I ended up letting go and actually laughing at the parts of ill-logic. Since it was not a comedy, the stupidity of it's logic was what was funny.

Now for the excitement the movie provides. You've got snakes popping out of every little fucking whole throughout the plane, and people are getting their asses bit (literally). There were also so many characters types in this movie that you've seen killed in just about every other movie of this genre in history so guessing who would get attacked is also half the fun. The excitement factor here was far better than in other snake movies like Anaconda, which just blew.

All I can tell you is if you decide to watch the movie eventually to relax and not be so uptight and hate it for it's flaws. In fact, the flaws are what makes it a great movie.

Alright I'm done.

Peace.