Friday, August 04, 2006

Beyond the Gray Sky

I wrote a long deleted post regarding this song a while ago. Some of you may have read it, most probably haven't, but this song helped me through a lot. It's weird, because I believe this was the first song to truly hit me on a deeply emotional level. As I've posted before, songs mean something to me because I connect them to specific events that happen and whatnot, but listening to this one in a time of need really helped me out.

It's a 311 song written by singer Nick Hexum about the suicide of a friend of his when he was younger. Now I haven't had anyone in my close-knit group of people or family commit suicide (aside: my aunt committed suicide a few years ago, but I wasn't really close with her or anything), but it's a song that I can relate to by helping me get out of shitty situations I find myself in. Either when I'm feeling terrible about something that happened to someone, or when I'd feel so out of it I'd think stupid thoughts.

One of the terrible things that happened was the death of one of my best friends Tony in a car accident a year ago today (Aug 4/05). It really hit me tough at the time. But I think after the original emotional blow of what happened, I was able to cope really well with the whole horrible incident.

Even until this day we don't stop talking about him because he made our group whole. Without him we're always seemingly a guy short when we do things. When we all went to Darien Lake it seemed as if he should have been there. Having his presence among us made us all that much more of a great group of friends. I'm not saying we're not strong now, but without him it just doesn't seem right. In fact, I'd say that if it weren't for our ever-conflicting schedules, we're a tighter knit group of friends now than we ever were. We have the common bond of losing someone very close to us to connect us better and help our friendship thrive. It's unfortunate, but sometimes that's the way things have to be I guess. And even if he isn't there in the flesh, he's definitely there in spirit as just about everything we do is filled with reminiscing stories about Tony.

So yeah, it's a great song in my opinion and I figured I'd post something about it with just over a week left until I go see them in concert.


"Beyond The Gray Sky"
It is a gift I know
A moment of bliss that we hold
A firecracker flash of light then on
To the next plane soul remain
Come along if you dare
It's gonna be that you're scared
Lovely life I thank you
For the reason to see the pain through
Light a candle for the dead
The wick is burning returning what we have
It's who we are
We'll reach you if you're beyond the furthest star
Don't give up the fight to stay alive and even if
you have to
Find the reason of another's pain if they lose you
If not for your self then those around who care
like I do
One day you'll see the clear blue
Beyond the Gray Sky
Light a candle...
The wick...
It's who we are...
One day you'll see the clear blue
Beyond the Gray Sky
I can't believe you didnt call
What made you want to end it all
Wasn't there something I should have tried
To help you see beyond the gray sky
Rest in Peace Tony.