Monday, October 09, 2006

Alright, Still

The Dinner

Yesterday I celebrated Thanksgiving with my family. We had my brother, his fiancee, my sister and my two nephews over. So that's a total of 8 people including myself and my parents.

The big part of the day was obviously the huge meal. It was prepared amazingly by me mum and in the end my stomach was far too full, which is a good thing.

I think this year was the first time a turkey dinner managed to knock me out. I ended up falling asleep around 4pm because I could hardly keep my eyes open. I had to set my alarm for an hour later because I had to go to the Lily Allen concert.

The Wait

I met up with Alex at the subway station by his place and we headed down to Lee's Palace where she was playing. While waiting in line, we were standing by this door that goes into the place, but more for equipment and whatnot. As we were standing there this group of people came up and one woman went to try to open it, but it was locked. It was then that I noticed the short person behind her in this checker-like print trench jacket with her hood up. I couldn't see her face but i knew it was ..Lily Allen! She was there for about three seconds before they went to the main entrance. I was all "holy shit it's Lily Allen" in my head, but I didn't do anything interesting :(

The Concert

I'd never been to Lee's Palace before so I didn't know anything about it aside from having a smaller capacity than other places. So when we went in I was a little suprised to see a bunch of seats surrounding a floor for people to stand and jump around. We ended up grabbing seats near the front area on the side. They had a little railing contraption for holding drinks and a waitress coming around taking orders. The convenience for alcohol over took getting in close to the stage.

Opening for Lily were her buddies and DJs Aaron LaCrate and Mark Ronson. I'd heard of Ronson before, but I only knew of LaCrate from his MySpace profile. Both provided good entertainment, but it was drawn out pretty long.


Mark Ronson doing his DJ thing.

Once Lily came out she performed LDN which was her first UK single, and everyone cheered her on. After that she went from song to song, stopping once to admittedly catch her breath. I believe she played eight songs before saying goodbye; I knew that couldn't be it. After some cheering from the crowd she came back and performed Alfie, a song about her brother. I was still shocked to see that she left after that one. In the end though it's not that suprising as her library is only 13 songs deep as of yet. After that Aaron Lacrate came back out and DJ'd a bit more. We had another drink and then left.


Lily Allen dancing on stage while performing.

I was a little buzzed but nothing I was proud of. So we went to a pub where we got a pitcher of my growing favourite, Stella Artois. We chilled out there and watched sports highlights, and I was sepecially proud of seeing the Eagles beat Terrell Owens and his Dallas Cowboys team. It was a nice capper to a good night.

Now thoroughlly drunk we headed home. I took the subway back to suburbia and then took a cab the other half of the way because I felt the $30 was worth getting home an hour or so earlier.

So there it is. I had a great time and her first performance overseas seemed to be pretty successful. I can't wait til she comes back and with hopefully more songs to sing.

Peace.