Thursday, November 02, 2006

Can you take me down to Chinatown...

Hey all. Sorry I haven't posted nearly as much as I normally do, but I've just either not had much to talk about or been too busy with school and such.

Truthfully I shouldn't even be posting right now because I have too much shit to deal with at the moment...

We have this class called Beat Reporting and every two weeks we have to hand in a story. At the end, after we've handed in 5, we will present with our group, a magazine based on our beat, or topic.

So yeah, being the procrastinator that I am, I always end up putting things off, which in journalism is a big no-no. This cycle - which is our 3rd story - I felt good about, and was ready to actually work the entire two weeks to get it done properly. Unfortunately doing copy-editing for the paper got in the way during the first week and took the wind out of my sails.

So that brings me to today. I spent yet another one of my thursdays (which are pretty much our only days off) working on my beat assignment at school. I had planned to do a couple interviews over the phone and then head down to Chinatown to talk to someone in the neighbourhood.

oh yes: my current story is about finding out why an area of town such as this one particular chinatown tends to resemble that of an actual chinese city (but on a smaller scale of course)

Anyway, the sources I wanted to speak with had to make it hard on me by either not being there or not answering their phone or going on vacation!

So I spent the day waiting for phone calls. After a bit I finally got in contact with sources and did indeed end up talking to 3, which is our requirement for the story. So to that, I'm atleast relieved.

Tomorrow though I'm heading down to chinatown to take some pictures and also still try to speak with someone from the neighbourhood, whether it be a shopkeeper or just anyone on the street.

Oh, and today I found out I have to do rewrites (or atleast re-organization) of my first two stories. I didn't catch that on the marking sheet originally. That really made me go insane in the middle of the day when nothing was going right.

Ah well, back to work. It never freaking stops...

Peace.