Monday, March 27, 2006

3 off the top of my head movie reviews

Okay I feel like reeling off the last three movies I've watched in another set of congested movie reviews. I choose to do this now at 2:50 because I know I'll try (and win) to convince myself to do this tomorrow when I should be crunching down on my school work. Here they are:

Office Space

This is a 1999 comedy about workers at this company who are essentially getting back at the place because their job sucks and/or they were fired from the job. It was created by Mike Judge (Beavis & Butthead/King of the Hill) and stars Ron Livingston (Yeah I don't know him either :P). I decided to watch this movie after seeing a preview for a new version of it being sold on DVD. I've heard a lot about it, but never actually watched it before. I'd have to say that it wasn't a disappointing movie, in fact, I laughed quite a lot and enjoyed myself. I wouldn't put it up there with say Van Wilder (IMO), but I'm sure it's definitely a cult hit with 20-something office workers. I would recommend it. It gives a lot of laughs and will brighten up your night a lot. Also Jennifer Anniston's in it; she's a hotty.

Brokeback Mountain

Well I really wasn't going to watch this one because the damn thing just got too much hype for a situation that is becoming all to normal nowadays. I ended up watching it because I was running out of movies on my immediate list to download and I didn't want to watch any in my collection at the time. The movie stars Heath Ledger (A Knight's Tale) and Jake Gyllenhaal (Bubble Boy). It's set in Wyoming mostly, and at Brokeback Mountain is where these two roughnecks find love with one another. They're done with the mountain in the first 45minutes I believe and the rest is their meeting up over time. The buildup to their attraction for one another was very small if there at all, I didn't feel it except for Jack Twist's (Gyllenhaal) creepy staring at Ennis (Ledger) as they're going for the job prior to the mountain. I didn't see much to this movie at all and I found it rather boring and stretched out beyond belief. Heath Ledger did well and I believed what his character was going through. Jake G's character Jack though, I didn't feel that the connection was there that much. I got the feeling that Jack Twist brought guys up taht mountain every year and had his way with them if they'd let it. His frequent trips to Mexico for a little salsa action didn't deny my feelings that he wasn't all there either. The wives in the movie weren't bad. Michelle Williams performed better than Anne Hathaway though by a long shot. And finally, for the guys not willing to see this movie I'd let you know the wives show some chest. I didn't expect Ms. seemingly-squeaky-clean-Hathaway to do this, but she did. Just a minor note. In the end, I, personally, would not recommend this movie. As I said, it was far too drawn out and ended up becoming very boring.

Good Night and Good Luck

This is a journalistic tale about Edward R. Murrow and his news team's bid to bring down a U.S. senator by the name of Joseph McCarthy. The movie is shot in black and white to give it that 50s charm, which I found it did. It stars David Strathairn and George Clooney (Syrianna, Oceans 11/12). At the time the movie was set, fear of everyone being a communist was rampant. Murrow and his team looked to exploit this fear in people by bringing down Senator McCarthy, who was accusing people left and right of such things. Even though Clooney (director) is drawing from past events, to me this movie reflects very well on situations in todays society with everyone considering everyone with middle-eastern ties a terrorist. It shows how the American government has constantly beraded its people with fear so they could further their own agenda. For standing up to the senator, Murrow was right and true to the people of his country who took every word he said as a news broadcastor as gospel. It is a great tool for journalists now to use (I being one of them). I wont ruin the end of the movie by going on any further because I believe I will. I will definitely recommend this movie, even though it is relatively short, at around one and half hours. I enjoyed it a lot.

There are my 3, albeit not so, condensed movie reviews. I think I'll try to do this every three movies I watch, unless something really catches my eye that I have to say something.

Peace, again.