Thursday, April 06, 2006

Here I go pondering again...

Today as I went to post my daily goings-on, I realised that I didn't feel the urge to do so. Not because of lack of interest or worry of something or other. I just felt the need this evening to say something a little more meaningful. So here I go:

I was never raised a religious person. My Mother was raised as High Anglican, the teachings of the Church of England, if I recall properly. Her mother was born there and obviously carried on the religious traditions of her family. My Father was born in the Caribbean, St. Vincent to be exact. He was raised as Protestant, having Irish background, it seemed only natural.

I know my mother went to church every weekend and also to sunday school as well. I'm not to sure on what my Dad did though. I don't believe he did much in the way of church though, but I may be wrong.

My mother told me many times that she wanted to raise her kids to be able to choose the path they would want for themselves; she didn't want to force that on us. I have an older brother (32) and an older sister (35). So with that upbringing I never set foot in a church. The only times were for funerals (no weddings. havent been to one).

As I approached my later teen years I felt the need to not become religious, but knowledgeable to atleast a certain extent, of other cultures and their ways. I've always been intrigued or curious why people act the way they do. One thing I hate, and though I catch myself making them, is quick, harsh judgements of the way people act. When I hear someone make a slander like that I tend to point out to them that maybe it's because this is their culture and this is why they do it..etc. If I know the person and it's light-hearted, I don't usually bother. So yeah, I enjoy knowing where people come from and why they act the way they do, whether it be religion or cultural family values.

I don't believe I will ever become a religious person, because I don't have the discipline necessary to follow through on all the restrictions that religions impose. Also, I've come to the realization that the path to true happiness is within us.

The best way to go about becoming happy at the end of your life on Earth is to live it to its full potential while you are able to. I'm not saying party or get high all the time, but just appreciate important things in your life like your family and close friends.

I want to continue to learn. Not always in a straightforward way such as reading a book, but just through my own personal interactions or my crazy thoughts that I seem to like.

I guess my main goal is to find happiness. It is not as easy as it seems, for me anyway. I think this is a goal for me now. To begin to appreciate what I have in my family and my friends and everything around me that I believe is important. Sure I'll get hurt emotionally at times, but I know I'll always have that core group of people there to support me, even if I don't talk to them about what is truly bothering me.

Now I'm off to my spiritual journey of sleep.

Peace. And quiet...at last.